You may have TMJ if you have pain in your jaw and difficulty chewing. At Aurora Dentistry, we are proud to offer our patients bite therapy to restore proper temporomandibular joint function.
What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) acts like a sliding hinge, connecting your jawbone to your skull. You have one joint on each side of your jaw. TMJ disorders — a type of temporomandibular disorder can cause pain in your jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement.
Your dentist will evaluate your current oral health situation and advise on which treatment options work best for helping with your TMD.
Symptoms of TMD may include:
- Pain or tenderness of your jaw
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
- Aching pain in and around your ear
- Difficulty opening or closing your mouth